“How do I know what I think until I see what I say.” – E.M. Forster
This site is my attempt to know better what I think about living an excellent life. I share the kinds of things I would enjoy reading and discovering, and, in the process, I hope to offer something useful and meaningful to others.
I have worked in higher education at my alma mater since 1992. My job has given me a front row seat to the adventures of my school’s most dynamic student leaders. They continue to teach me much about excellence and curiosity and friendship.
I write daily, mostly about what I’m learning and what I’m reading. I’m interested in life wisdom, quality work, technology, and books.
I enjoy speaking to audiences regularly about education, work, presentation skills, and what I’m learning about how to be awesome.
Some favorite posts on this site for those exploring:
- Be awesome
- I’m totally winging it. You are, too.
- Merry Freaking Christmas!
- My purpose
- What can you give?
- How we spend our days
- Resistance is futile: Hadrian and the profound power of acceptance
- Claim your place on the internet
- Advice for getting started after college
- Life before death
- Five C’s of Leadership
- Shine for someone
- The grace of great things
- “Resistance”: Using fear to find your way
- The imagined opinions of others
- Courageous, not fearless
- Doing hard things
- “Follow your passion” is not helpful advice
- How to find work you love
- Non-attachment for the win
- Practice makes awesome
- SpeechCraft: Give presentations that change things
- Doing vs. trying
I’m living the dream with my wife and two young daughters and hoping to live the kind of life that awakens possibility in others.
email: ej at excellentjourney dot net